thoughts about music and getting a little older

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Bad Music and Good Memories


Jay and Peaches picked us up for the REO Speedwagon concert in Jay’s parents' Chevy something or other.  Marilyn begged me to go along, knowing full well that I hated REO Speedwagon with every Grateful Dead loving bone in my body.  I knew this was going to be torture but she and I were best friends and she was hoping Peaches and I would hit it off so we could all double-date in the future. His passion for REO Speedwagon already put him at a HUGE disadvantage for that scenario. It also didn't help that he preferred polo shirts and acid washed jeans to concert t-shirts and regular old blue jeans. My high school dream date played love songs on guitar, read books by Kurt Vonnegut and preferred biking to football. As I slipped into the backseat with Peaches, I knew it was going to be a very, very long night.

       Jay was captain of the football, baseball and wrestling teams at the boy’s boarding school down the road from where we lived. Although he boarded at the school, he was from Athol (actual name of a town) and was attending Deerfield Academy on a scholarship and unlike most of the other boys there, he was not a Mayflower descendant. He adored Marilyn and followed her around like a gorilla-sized puppy.

Peaches (what the hell was his real name anyway?) was way more interested in drinking the whiskey he sneaked into the Springfield Civic Center than trying to strike up any conversation with me. He and Jay danced and sang along to every song, pumping their triumphant fists into the air. By the end of the night, Peaches and Marilyn had polished off the whiskey and Jay and I helped them out to the car.

Interstate 91 follows the Connecticut River from New Haven, Connecticut through western Massachusetts, into Vermont and New Hampshire and continues all the way to the Canadian border. Drunk Peaches had sprawled out across the backseat so I squeezed into the front next to Marilyn and leaned my head against the passenger side window for the 30 minute drive back to South Deerfield. Peaches let out an occasional mumble or inebriated exclamation about how awesome the concert was from the back. The dark car filled with Marilyn and Peaches’ whiskey infused sweat as we made our way out of the crowded parking garage.



“And I'm gonna keep on lovin youuuuuuu

Cause it's the only thing I wanna doooooooo

I don't wanna sleep

I just wanna keep on lovin youuuuuu!”


We had just passed by the new Ingleside Mall in Holyoke when Marilyn leaned over to open my window a little more and in the span of seconds my brand new purple jumpsuit felt warm and wet -her whiskey scented dinner suddenly covered my lap.

        “I feel much better now.” She calmly reported.

I don’t remember if I screamed or jumped up in my seat but we did pull off the highway and I tried to scrape the goop off my pants with the scraps of paper we found in Jay’s car. Marilyn wiped a scant stream of barfy spittle that ran along her face into her golden mane of hair. She was beautiful even with barf on her face.

      I walked Marilyn into her dark, wood paneled house past her sleeping parents and got her settled into her room before walking across the cornfield to my house. I decided it was more prudent to go in from my garage so I could slip into the laundry room and rinse off my barf soaked clothes before anyone could lecture me.

Our friendship endured the barf test as well as many other Marilyn inspired antics. She was fearless and constantly dared me out of my introvert comfort zone.  Although we had only become friends the summer after my sophomore year in high school, it was as if we had been best friends our whole childhood.

Marilyn was so eager to leave our small town that she graduated a year early with my class in 1981. She gaily skipped off to RISD where she studied painting and glass blowing.

After high school we rarely saw each other as she was determined never to return to South Deerfield and I shared her sentiment. She spent one summer on Cape Cod working in a tourist shop and then left the East Coast entirely after her sophomore year to work in the glassblowing community in Seattle. She visited me with her boyfriend Preston Singletary during the summer of 1984 when I worked in Boston and again in 1985 when I lived in San Francisco. Once she married Australian artist Andrew Antoniou around 1990 the Pacific Ocean (and lack of money) kept us further apart. I can’t remember precisely the last time we saw each other but I believe it was in 1991 when I was living in Oakland and she and Andrew came to visit the Bay Area. After I moved to the Midwest, time and distance created a bigger gap in our communication, not to mention the three children I was busy attending to daily but we continued to write long letters a few times a year.  When email finally became the preferred method of communicating we felt even closer. Early in 2009, I tried to convince her to join this new thing called Facebook so we could peer into each other’s lives more easily. One of her last emails to me apologized for not figuring out Facebook but that she was battling ovarian cancer and wanted to focus on healing. We reminisced about our epic cooking sessions at her house when were teenagers creating entire gourmet meals to be enjoyed only by the two of us using her family’s fine china at their big dining room table, all the while serenaded by Heart or Iggy Pop from the stereo in their den.
My children never got to meet my best friend but they have heard all of the stories. I always credit her with rescuing me from teenage angst and keeping me sane. She dragged me out of my shyness and forced me to confront those fears and for that I am grateful. 

Marilyn left this world on November 11, 2009.



1 comment:

  1. Lovely, poignant piece scanning and spanning time from young, vibrant, and crazy, to less young, less carefree, a little ragged.

    ReplyDelete